Sweet potatoes are much more than just delicious. They are super-healthy.
15 Facts About Sweet Potato Nutrition:
1. Sweet potatoes contain natural sugars, which regulate and even lower a diabetic person’s insulin resistance levels and regulate sugars.
2. The high amount of fiber in a sweet potato will help healthy digestion and defecation. Say goodbye to constipation!
3. The disease emphysema commonly affects smokers and people lacking in vitamin A. The carotenoids in sweet potato are used in the human body to produce vitamin A.
4. The vitamin D in sweet potato helps promote the healthy functioning of the thyroid gland, and strengthens teeth, bones, hair and skin.
5. A sweet potato’s potassium content can help stabilize blood pressure and balance electrolytes. With the help of vitamin B6 a sweet contributes to the prevention of stroke, heart attack and other degenerative diseases.
6. Potassium also helps active people fight cramps and bloating, while regulating nerve signals and heart rate.
7. In the environment around us are harmful free-radicals which are cancer causing once inside the body. Carotenoids such as beta-carotene, found in sweet potato, help fight gout, arthritis and asthma. They also work against cancer causing free radicals.
8. Pregnant women need folic acid for the health of their fetus – it promotes healthy fetal tissue and cell development. Sweet potatoes are a great source of folic acid.
9. Potassium regulates the body’s water balance, boosts oxygen flow and normalizes the heart rate, all which has an anti-stress effect.
10. Sweet potatoes are full of vitamin C, which has endless benefits for overall health.
11. Sweet potatoes also contain high levels of iron, which is helpful in preventing anemia, a condition characterized by a low number of white and red blood cells.
12. The water used to boil sweet potatoes will have absorbed their vitamin C. You can use this water to cleanse pores and reduce inflammation and irritation. Vitamin C generally assists in collagen production. Vitamin E improves skin’s texture and appearance.
13. The manganese and iron in sweet potatoes are perfect for a woman during menstruation, when levels of these compounds are low in her body.
14. Beta-carotene stimulates hair growth and health.
15. A single sweet potato is full of minerals like potassium, manganese, magnesium, calcium and iron: all crucial to the body’s breakdown of food for energy.