The French are passionate about food in all its forms. France’s extraordinary range of climates and geographies support the production of many different types of ingredients, resulting into a vary diverse range of culinary traditions. French meals range from basic baguette and cheese to elaborate experiences that can involve dozens of courses. Here are the top 6 foods that you simply MUST try when in France.
1. Baguette: Nothing hits the spot like a freshly baked French baguette. To call it bread is almost an insult, as baguettes are pure perfection. In a country where bread is a main dietary staple, you can be sure that you’ll find excellent baguettes no matter where you go.
2. Croissant: The classic that it is, it wouldn’t be a list of the best French foods without croissants at the top. The light buttery and flaky croissants of France take croissants to a whole different level. Often served with butter and jam, they simply melt in your mouth.
3. Croque-monsieur: The croque-monsieur originated in France, and is now considered one of the world’s finest sandwiches. A grilled ham and cheese sandwich with béchamel sauce and usually either Emmental or Gruyère cheese, with the croque-monsieur you can’t go wrong.
4. Crepe: A crepe is a thin version of a pancake that can be topped with fresh berries, ham and cheese, melted chocolate, or anything else you can think of. They are an absolute culinary must when visiting France, but be forewarned…once you try one you won’t be able to stop.
5. Bouillabaisse: This is a fish or seafood stew that you can add to after it’s been brought to your table. The seafood is usually served separately along with rouille sauce and toasted bread that you can add to the hearty stew. This French delicacy is sure to warm you up.
6. Gaufres: This is the ultimate street food in France. Similar to a Belgian waffle, it is most frequently served with nutella and powdered sugar to top, this French treat will certainly satisfy your sweet tooth. A waffle, chocolate and sugar, can you think of a better combination? We didn’t think so…
If these 6 French mouth watering delicacies haven’t gotten you itching to hop on an Air France jet heading to your Parisian destination, there might be something wrong with you… 🙂