Everything you believed about spending an hour on the treadmill is false. Deal with it.
Slow-and-steady cardio takes a lot of time and doesn’t pay off in the long run. Want to really shed pounds and burn calories? Welcome to the next generation of workouts: high-intensity interval training.
The concept is simple: when you raise your heart-rate and burn calories for a few minutes at a time, your metabolism spikes and builds muscle more quickly. It even keeps working during rest periods and for up to 24 hours later. This method is brutal for beginners but highly effective.
Below are three kinds of HIT workouts. Make sure to warm up and cool down before and after each one.You can start replacing one of your cardio workout days with one of these and look forward to fast results.
HIIT Workout #1
1. Sprint (45 seconds)
2. Recover (15 sec)
3. Repeat steps 1–2 three times
4. 20-minute run at half speed
5. Repeat steps 1–2 four times at your fastest heart-exploding, lung-busting speed.
HIIT Workout #2 for Bicycle
1. Sprint at low resistance (30 sec)
2. Recover (60 sec)
3. Sprint at high resistance (30 sec)
4. Recover at low resistance (60 sec)
5. Repeat steps 1–4 nine times
HIIT Workout #3
1. Squats (45 sec)
2. Squat jumps (15 sec)
3. Push-ups (60 sec)
4. Plank (60 sec)
5. Jump rope (60 sec)
6. Recover (60 sec)
7. Repeat steps 1–6 five times